Sunday, December 16, 2012

THE WREATH OF KHAN: A Tutorial Best Served Cold

“Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity, but improve (a traditional holiday symbol) and you gain a thousand fold.” 
- Khan Noonien Singh "Star Trek: Space Seed (#1.22)" (1967)


To know Khan is to love him. (Or, more probably, to fear the consequences of his intense narcissism and mercurial mood swings.) It seems only natural to include this memorable (terrifying, fantastic) Star Trek villain into your holiday celebrations.




MATERIALS: Bowls or other circle templates 
Scissors 
Stapler and staples 
Cardboard 
Green paper (or paper of your choice) I used green printer sheets 
Green  poster board 
Modge podge or other paper glue and a paintbrish 
Ribbon 
Picture of Ricardo Montalban as Khan Noonien Singh.




Feel free to use this one! I printed it at 8x8 inches.
Lay your cardboard out and cut a circle the size of your intended wreath.  I used a plastic deviled egg tray as my template. You could use a mac knife, x-acto knife or scissors at this point, as you like.
Cut the same sized circle out of green poster board. 
Find an appropriate sized bowl or draw out another circle and cut out your picture of Ricardo Montalban.
Glue Ricardo to the green poster board, and the poster board to the cardboard circle. Press firmly.
As that dries, use some left over cardboard to cut a leaf template.
I made a 4x2 inch leaf, but you can make it larger if you like. Smaller can get problematic, but the first time I made this, the leaf was about 4x1.5 inches, so you can play around with this.
Trace several of the leaves onto your green paper and cut them out. (I realized after doing this step that I could easily have made the template in software and printed it on the green paper. )
Once your wreath form is dry, cut a notch near the top to use as a hanger. (Scroll for photo. I forgot to take a picture at this step!)
Carefully staple the leaves to the form. Roll the leaves a bit to give them shape and staple lengthwise for stability.
Start at the top and work your way around the circle. Be sure to cover your staples with the next leaf.
Not gonna lie, this part is finnicky pain-in-the-bum.



I crowded Khan just a bit...
At this point, depending on the length and awesomeness of your staples, you can choose to turn the wreath over and cover the pokey staple ends with tape so they don’t snag on anything. 
Make a bow with your ribbon and pass the tail through the notch at the top and secure in place. Or, as I did, find a surprise stash of twist ties while searching the office supply drawer for a desperately needed staple remover. Use the twist tie through the back of the knot, thread through the notch in the wreath form, and secure that in place. Fluff bow.
Hang your Wreath of Khan where it can bring joy to the greatest number of people.
"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!"




EDIT: This is where the Wreath of Khan idea originated! GUYS! I NEED TO MAKE A WREATH OF DON!



No comments:

Post a Comment